Thursday, October 19, 2006


"HOW DID YOU HEAR ABOUT US?"
A good entrepreneur needs to know where his or her new clients and prospects are coming from. It can be one of your advertising sources, a recommendation, or a passerby noticing your sign. My mother used to say to me, "It never hurts to ask"; and when you or your staff answer the phone, ask them how they came to you.
There are so many ways to advertise, and we need to occasionally refine the process. Many companies have a large part of their advertising budget dedicated to the internet, but print and direct mail are still quite viable for some. It all depends on your type of business, the clients you seek and the scope of your operation.
Merrick Printing has had a small ad in the local Yellow Pages for many years. This year when the ad came up for renewal, we tried to justify re-running it. I still get many prospects using this low tech method, and in combination with the price break they gave us for enlarging our ad, we decided to do it.
One aspect of my Yellow Page ad that I find comical is that when many women respond to my query about advertising, their mention of the Yellow Pages is usually accompanied by a giggle. I don't know why. I have asked, but I've never gotten a good answer.
The bottom line is to periodically evaluate your advertising by seeing what brilliance best brings in the Benjamins. After that alliteration, I'm done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home