Thursday, September 14, 2006

BLENDING AC/DC AND AUDREY HEPBURN


The "Keep it Simple" campaign features original film footage of style icon Audrey Hepburn dancing in the movie "Funny Face," juxtaposed to the AC/DC song "Back in Black." The campaign relaunches Gap's skinny black pants and includes the tagline, "It's Back--The Skinny Black Pant." This marks the first time in more than 12 years that a film clip of Hepburn has been authorized to endorse a commercial product in North America. "We wanted to do something really special to relaunch our skinny black pants and thought who better to showcase them than actress Audrey Hepburn--an iconic woman famous for dressing with sophistication and classic style," said Trey Laird, creative director of the company. The 30- and 60-second spots will air through Oct. 5. The campaign follows disappointing sales results for Gap Inc. in August.
Posted by DavePinter on September 7, 2006 at 12:58 PM

This commercial has become an instant classic for me. I love AC/DC and I grew up watching Audrey Hepburn movies. I don't look at many commercials, but this one is great. Sometimes blending works; it depends on how it's done and who's doing it. The why is also very important. Advertising is a key part of business, getting the word out to move product. We'll see how this plays out for the Gap.
As for me, I'm entertained, but I'm not buying skinny black pants.

2 Comments:

At 7:46 AM, Blogger Dirty Butter said...

I find myself watching these ads very intently, too, but I won't be buying any skinny black pants, either LOL.

I guess we're not their target market, huh?

PS. Don't forget to put the BLOG VILLAGE voting link up, so we can vote for you!

 
At 1:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually don't care for the commercial. I find it kind of silly and annoying, which kind of makes me odd man out. I don't like how they sampled her talking. If that wasn't in the commercial, it wouldn't be terrible. I'd also like it if she had some kind of a background narrative of things pieced together. as opposed to the repetition.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home